How to import users from a CSV file?
Create and import users:
1. First of all, you’ll need to prepare a CSV file with the following structure:
user_name;user_email;group_name;directory_name;is_anonymous : 0 or 1;send_email : 0 or 1;custom_field_1;custom_field_2;custom_field_3
user_name: user’s full name
user_email: user’s email address
group_name: user’s group (ex: sales, marketing, team B, etc). Later on, if you create a policy “Sales” for example, you’ll be able to apply it to the group_name Sales and all users in this group will be impacted.
directory_name: user name in company directory, could be helpful to automatically configure email parameters for example.
is_anonymous: to know what is an Anonymous user and how to use it, please read our tutorial Add “Anonymous” users. In this example, we’re putting “0” for “is_anonymous” because we don’t want to create an anonymous user.
send_email: if you want end users to receive their IDs and QR code to enroll their device, put “1”. If you don’t want them to receive anything from TinyMDM because the enrollment will be done by the admin, put “0”.
custom_field: you can add up to 3 personalized fields. If you want to let them empty, put <;;>.
Example of file:
If you create your CSV file from an Excel document:
- Select a New tab
- Click on File and then on Export
- Change file type and select CSV (Comma delimited) (*csv)
- Then fill in one column per field
2. From the Users tab, click on the button Import users, select your CSV file and click on OK.
3. If the upload is successful, users will be created and appear in the Users tab. Except if users are anonymous or if you chose not to send them an email, they will receive a QR code and a password via email that they will need to enroll their device later on (using either one).
Main errors when importing the CSV file:
Number of fields:
In the CSV upload results, if you see the error “Row N°X The number of fields should be: 9”, it’s because there is an incorrect number of fields in your file. Please check it out (open your file with Notepad for example): there should be exactly nine fields >> Jane Doe;firstname.lastname@example.org;Sales;jane.doe;0;0;;;
In the CSV upload results, if you see the error “Row N°X duplicate user: XXXX”, it’s because the user already exists in your console. Please delete this user from the file or from the console and try again.
In the CSV upload results, if you see the error “Row N°X name required for anonymous users”, please make sure the field “user_name” is not empty.