Configure a VPN
How to configure a VPN on the devices of a policy?
A VPN enables to manage Internet traffic on a device via a secure tunnel, hiding the IP address and encrypting the data entered.
Install a VPN
1. Go to the Enterprise Approved Apps tab and approve the VPN application. To understand how to approve an application, go on to this tutorial.
2. Once the application is approved, move to the Policies tab and edit the policy of your choice.
3. Scroll down to the Apps Management sub-tab and click on the menu at the top right of the VPN to install it.
4. Once the application is installed, scroll down the policy until the VPN configuration sub-tab and click on to replace “None” by the VPN.
Turn on the VPN from the device
The VPN will then be installed on the devices of the policy. From the devices, users will then need to:
1. Open the VPN application
2. Turn on the VPN in order to access internet
During the few seconds or minutes for setting up the application, public and private applications will no longer have access to the internet. However, system applications and changes made on TinyMDM will still be taken into account.
Turn off the VPN from the device
Users have access to the VPN on their devices, which means that they can disable it. However, doing it will not allow them to bypass VPN security. Indeed, by disabling the VPN, only the modifications made on TinyMDM and system applications will continue to work with an internet connection. Public or private applications will no longer be usable, unless the VPN is re-enabled.
For information: for your VPN application to be compatible with TinyMDM, it needs to have the “always on” permission. If you don’t know about this permission, contact your administrator or TinyMDM support.