How to create users and affect them to groups?
1. Create users
To create users, many options exist: you can create users one by one by clicking on Add a user, or import a csv list of users by clicking on Import users (see the tutorial Import users from a CSV file using TinyMDM).
For each user, you can define:
- an email address. Ex: firstname.lastname@example.org
- a name. Ex: John Doe
- a directory name (important to configure an email account for example). Ex: john.doe
If you don’t want a user to be linked to an email address, you can click on Anonymous user. In this case, only its name will be required to create a user (see the tutorial Add “Anonymous” users using TinyMDM).
If you want users to receive an email with the QR code to enroll their device, you can tick Send an email to the user. If you don’t want, unselect it. The QR code will still be permanently visible on the TinyMDM console.
2. Link them to policies
All the created users appear as cards. If they haven’t already been affected to a policy, the No policy message appears. You will need to create a policy from the Policies tab and affect one or multiple users before being able to enroll the devices linked to it. If needed, follow this tutorial to create a policy.
1. Create groups
In the sub-tab Groups, you can create groups and affect users to them. To do it, click on Add a group and rename the created group.
If you already have a policy and you want to apply it to a group, click on and select the policy of your choice. All the users of this group or the ones you will add later in this group, will have mobile devices linked to the same policy.
2. Assign users to groups
To assign a user to a group or change its group, follow the steps:
- On the User’s card, click on the No group text (or on the group name, if the user is already part of a group). A text box will appear.
- Groups’ names that already exist appear on a list.
- You can select an existing group or type a new group’s name in the text box and use the Enter key on your keyboard to create a new group.
Be careful: if you assign a user to a group, its policy will be the one of the assigned group.
C. SEND MESSAGES TO USERS OR GROUPS
To send a message to the devices of a single user or to those of a group of users:
- Click on the menu at the top right of the user or group
- Click on the send message feature
Then write your message before clicking Send
The devices concerned will then all simultaneously receive a full-screen pop-up with the message sent.